Nobody likes having a standoff at the dinner table. We want kids to reap the nutritional benefits of veggies, but when they make an appearance at meal time, we’re often met with crossed arms and pained faces. Here are 5 great ways to sneak these nutritional powerhouses into kids’ diets — they’ll be none the wiser!
1. Smoothies – Adding a handful of spinach or kale is a great way to raise the nutritional profile of a fruit and yogurt smoothie. Rich-colored berries can help conceal the green color while naturally sweetening the smoothie as well. Beets can also be added for a hidden antioxidant boost!
2. Tomato Sauce can be a great hiding place for vegetables. Add pureed veggies such as carrots, zucchini, greens or broccoli to add some bonus nutrients to your standard sauce.
3. Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese – When making macaroni and cheese, try adding pureed, velvety butternut squash to the cheese sauce for extra fiber and beta-carotene.
4. Mashed Cauliflower – Instead of mashed potatoes, add vitamin C and sulfur-rich cauliflower mash to the dinner table. Simply steam the cauliflower, then puree it in the food processor with butter, salt and pepper. Add some garlic if your kids like it.
5. Popsicles – What child doesn’t like popsicles? None that we’ve ever met. Help kids get more greens in their diet by masking them in ice pops blended with the naturally sweet flavors of mixed berries and pomegranate juice. Our PopCreations Silicone Ice Pop Molds are the perfect way to make healthy, great-tasting homemade ice pops with hidden nutritional benefits.
With PopCreations, you can easily create your own healthy recipes for ice pops without the added sugars, colors and preservatives found in store-bought versions. You can even freeze smoothies or yogurt in them for a healthy, portable snack when you’re on the go. Get creative and see how many ways you can sneak healthy greens into your family’s frozen treats!
PopCreations are different from your typical popsicle molds. Because each mold comes with its own leak-free cap, they don’t take up a ton of freezer space with a stand that holds them upright. They’ll easily tuck into any little free spots you have in the freezer. If you don’t want your little one to eat the entire popsicle, simply pop the cap back onto the mold and put it in the freezer for later!
Kids love the fun push-up style of PopCreations. Since they’re tube-shaped, as the pops melt, they drip back into the molds instead of making a sticky mess on little hands. They’re made of the highest quality BPA-free silicone that not only meets FDA standards, but more rigorous European standards as well.
Need help coming up with your own ice pop recipes? Every order of PopCreations comes with our 50-recipe e-book, “PopCreations Book of Frozen Treats.” In it, you’ll find over 70 pages of delicious gluten-free ideas, including lots of healthy family friendly recipes — some that even showcase hidden veggies! We’ve also included a section for adults looking for a spiked frozen treat at happy hour, as well as recipes for creating your very own frozen pops for your favorite pup.
PopCreations Silicone Ice Pop Molds on sale for $12.97 through March 28, 2015. They are sold in sets of 6 vibrant colors and are available exclusively on Amazon.com.